Tuesday, April 26, 2016

I want to listen to stories. Your story.

I want to learn something from everyone I meet, whether it's good or bad.
I want to learn why they behave the way they do - did they have a bad day? Were they too caught up in the wrong things?
I want to know why they are so bitter about the world.
I want to know what hardships they had to face when they were younger.
I want to know what makes them smile, I want to know what makes them cry.
I want to know why they hate themselves?
I want to hear them talk about something they are passionate about.
I want to hear them talk about something they hate.

Only when I understand can I make the world a better place - for me and the people around me. If we learn the simple concept that everyone has a reason why they act the way they do, we will be able to accept them for who they are and not get mad or upset.

Put yourself in their shoes. Rough childhoods, insecurities, heartbreaks, pride. The list is endless. There are so many layers that contribute to the person we see today. The problem lies deep within oneself. And the only way we can help is by understanding.

It is pointless to get angry, it doesn't solve or change anything. I recently read a quote that said,

"It's a lot easier to be angry at someone than it is to tell them you're hurt."
- Tom Gates

To bring change, you have to be calm. To bring change, you shouldn't let irrationality cause you to do something you cannot Ctrl-Z.  To bring change, understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment