Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Let It Happen

Despite all the world, we are haunted 
By something we can't explain


The dark, rejection, failure, oblivion.. death. 
                           
It takes a lot to come to terms with the idea that your days are numbered. That you may not live long enough to accomplish what you want to in this lifetime.

I've always had this incessant fear of dying young. I could never accept the fact that when I die, I will just cease to exist - and the world will continue to on without even a  noticeable hiccup. We've spent all our lives living as one person, ourselves, and that is no wonder we would feel as though the world revolves around us (in one way or another). Surprise surprise, it doesn't. We are but a moment in time, a tiny piece of history, a fragment of this universe.

This thought keeps recurring though - what would people say at my funeral? Who would show up, whose lives would I have touched, who would they remember me as? I think this is a more moralising way to think of death (and life). How well have you lived your life, with whatever time you're given, to positively impact this world? Measuring your existence not by the days but by the number of hearts you've reached out to.


Here's a quick reality check.
If you found out you were dying, would you be nicer? Would you love more? Would you try something new? Well, you are. We all are.

Life is right now. I can't emphasise this enough. These are the moments that you are given. This is the part you're in control of. It is up to you to be content and at peace. People live through their days doing the job they don't enjoy for the big bucks or staying angry at a good friend. We treat ourselves unkindly, both the mind and the body. We actively allow this to happen when we choose to invest our time and energy on our egos. And that's how we will end up spending decades of our time in this world only to wish on our deathbeds that we've got more time.

See, Heaven is a place on Earth, not some destination you reach after after death by accumulating good deeds. It is now that you can make a difference. To your life, to the lives of the people around you. It is now that you treat people with love and respect. It is now that you make your dreams happen. Not tomorrow, not next life. Stop waiting for the right time because the time is always now to be bold and be good.

Fear is pointless. It does nothing but stop you from living. Death is inevitable and there is nothing we can do to prevent it. And in fact, I don't want to prevent it. If I were to die tomorrow, it would just mean that my purpose is up and I've done enough. That's all I'm meant to do in my life.
Don't fight it, just let it happen.


I used to fear death, but now the only thing that scares me is my fearlessness.






No comments:

Post a Comment